Saturday, March 26, 2011

Paris Report : Merci - Shopping For A Cause

Paris is the home of chic concept stores such as the highly acclaimed Colette. In 2009, a new concept store named 'Merci' opened its doors and became a 'must visit' destination in the Le Marais area. Created by Marie-France and the late Bernard Cohen, founders of renowned children’s clothing line Bonpoint (they sold it in 2007), Merci donates all of its net profit to charity.

In my opinion, the aesthetic difference between Merci and other chic concept stores is the welcoming ambience. I find the visual merchandising truly inspiring and original, and will definitely visit it every time I am in Paris. It is definitely shopping for a good cause at Merci and I will be less guilty in my retail indulgence.


Street front of Merci, once a 19th-century fabric factory.


In the courtyard leading to the store entrance



There are four floors waiting to be discovered in this lofty building. Lower level is where you find household knick knacks and a cafe. Ground floor houses menswear, a book store and its quaint cafe, and another bistro/cafe. First floor offers womenswear while the top floor is for furniture, stationery and childrenswear.


The current installation art display "Universal Blue".


There's a Annick Goutal counter on the ground floor where you can choose one of her signature scents and buy it in label-free bottle. A touch of unspoken luxury indeed.


The womenswear section is similar to a vintage shop. If you are lucky, you may find special limited editions created by designers for Merci's charitable mission.


Repetto shoes being displayed in a creative concept.


My black patent leather Repetto in the same style that can also be found at Merci.


Morphing installation art and visual merchandising.


The book store also doubles up as a cafe.


Special edition books for Merci.


If I ever live in Paris, this is the place I will buy my chairs and dining table. Love the furniture offering here.


The small stationery department offers a nice selection of notebooks and paper stuff. Love the way the note books are being displayed to create the feel of being in a workshop tool shed.

I wish I was able to take more pics, but I had to be discreet while snapping away using my Blackberry.

This is the official website but it doesn't contain much info or any pics. www.merci-merci.com

No comments:

Post a Comment